Although nail fungus infection does not mean you have a serious health problem, it still needs to be treated promptly and properly. Not only for aesthetic reasons but also because it can cause pain and other complications.
However, what product to choose? It is good to know some essential things about the topic before you make a purchase, which is why we tested and reviewed some of the best nail fungus treatment options that are currently available. We will tell you all that you need to know about how to choose the right treatment for your particular situation, and where to start your search.
The Ten Best Nail Fungus Treatment Products in 2021We’re committed to providing you with the best products available. If you purchase through one of the links on our site, we may earn a commission. Read our full Affiliate Disclosure.
- High-quality natural ingredients
- Scent of mint helps with the feet odor
- Heals the skin and athlete’s foot as well
- Made in the US
- All-natural non-toxic ingredients
- Clinically proven
- Suitable for people with diabetes, eczema, acne
- A regulated pump to use the product economically
- Patented lauric esters extracted from coconut and palm kernel oil
- Effective for skin and nail fungal infections
- Rapidly reduce redness and itching
- Best OTC nail fungus treatment
- Heals the skin
- Rapid, visible improvements in the first 4–6 weeks of use
- Natural and organic product
- Fights fungus while healing the skin
- 100% natural ingredients from Greece
- Works internally and externally for visible results after four weeks
- Alcohol-, sugar-, salt-, starch-, yeast-, wheat-, gluten-, corn-, soy-, milk-, egg-, and shellfish-free.
- Certification of chemical analysis
- 100% natural and organic botanical ingredients
- Suitable for use in the gym, exercise mats, and public showers
- No petroleum, sulfate, silicone, artificial fragrances, dyes, or preservatives
- Made in the US
- The highest concentration of undecylenic acid on the market
- High-quality natural oils included
- Vitamin E helps to smooth the skin
- Comes with a dropper instead of a brush
- Work on hands and feet
- Results can be seen in 2–4 weeks
- 90% of nails significantly improve
- Safe for diabetic people
- Preservative- and paraben-free
- Works under nail polish
- For both toenails and fingernails
Our Top-Rated Nail Fungus Treatment Reviews
- Type: Foot soak
- Ingredients: Epsom salt, Dead Sea salt, MSM, tea tree oil, and other 100% pure essential oils
- Shipping and return policy: 30-day return policy; free shipping on orders over $29.95
- Discounts: 20% off with promo code
This product will be perfect for you if you are looking for an all-natural treatment for fungal infections. Foot soaks are not only a soothing way to finish the day but can also give you a pleasant sensation thanks to a range of different salts and oils. For instance, this product uses tea tree oil for toenail fungus removal, and Epsom salt and other substances to calm the skin while curing foot and toenail infections.
The unique combination of ingredients eliminates the fungus and prevents the spread of the infection. Soaks also help improve dry, cracked heels and calluses, athlete’s foot, plantar fasciitis, and gout. Moreover, sore and tired feet also feel relaxed and refreshed after soaking.
Some of the significant benefits of this top nail fungus treatment are the refreshing feeling and the removal of any odor. The manufacturer states that their special patented mix of 100% pure essential oils with tea tree makes this a breakthrough product. The combination of Epsom salt, Dead Sea salt, and MSM effectively fights toenail infections and foot odor, softening the dry callused heels.
The product is manufactured in the US without dyes or synthetic fragrances, making it one of the most effective all-natural toenail fungus remedies.
- + High-quality natural ingredients
- + Scent of mint helps with the feet odor
- + Heals the skin and athlete’s foot as well
- + Made in the US
- − It may take months to see results
- Type: Topical treatment
- Ingredients: Potassium hydroxide, water, glyceryl dilaurate, propylene glycol dilaurate, potassium laurate, glyceryl monolaurate, propylene glycol monolaurate, glyceryl, and propylene glycol
- Shipping and return policy: N/A
- Discounts: N/A
This product might just be the cure for toenail fungus that you’ve been looking for, with its 2-step system of washing and layering liquid (morning therapy) or gel (evening therapy). It is suitable for thickening, crumbling, ragged, discolored, yellow, and brown nails. The renewal system can also remove the dark debris underneath the nails and alleviate odor, irritation, itchiness, tenderness, and discomfort of the adjacent skin.
Clinical trials guarantee that this treatment for toenail fungus is successful in over 94% of cases after six weeks of use. Apart from eliminating the fungus, the formula increases the nails’ flexibility and restores their color and strength.
The system is made in the US, and it’s non-toxic, odorless, and colorless. The manufacturer used only the best-quality ingredients to provide a safe solution for daily personal care needs combined with an efficient fungal nail treatment.
The formula doesn’t cause eczema, acne, dry or itchy skin, or allergies. It can also be safely used by diabetic people. The ingredients specifically target fungi while carefully preserving the skin.
- + All-natural non-toxic ingredients
- + Clinically proven
- + Suitable for people with diabetes, eczema, acne
- + A regulated pump to use the product economically
- + Patented lauric esters extracted from coconut and palm kernel oil
- − Some buyers complained about how long it took for the results to show
- Type: Antifungal cream
- Ingredients: Terbinafine hydrochloride 1%
- Shipping and return policy: Free shipping
- Discounts: Buy more bottles at a lower price
This toenail fungus cream is recommended for treating mild to moderate fungal infections, such as ringworm (tinea corporis), jock itch (tinea cruris), and athlete’s foot (tinea pedis). This over-the-counter (OTC) cream can deal with many pathogens, including toenail fungus. However, it is always better to use Terbinafine to handle and heal athlete’s foot before it reaches the toenails.
The cream aims to heal the skin between the toes by eliminating the fungal infection and the resulting itching, scaling, cracking, and redness. It can also prevent the forming of skin blisters. The treatment works by destroying the fungus and preventing it from spreading under the nails, between the toes, and to other body parts.
Overall, this nail fungus cure received positive reviews from the users. Most of them stated that this cream is especially effective for ringworm, bringing relief even where corticosteroids fail, and all that without irritating the skin. It is also fast-acting, with skin improvements often achieved in just 2 weeks. When the fungal infection retreats, redness and itching also start going away.
- + Effective for skin and nail fungal infections
- + Rapidly reduce redness and itching
- + Best OTC nail fungus treatment
- + Heals the skin
- − Some customers claim that their package was compromised on arrival
- Type: Anti-fungal solution
- Ingredients: Undecylenic acid, tea tree, lavender oil, ethylhexylglycerin, cetyl hydroxyethylcellulose, camphor, and propolis extract
- Shipping and return policy: 90-day money-back guarantee
- Discounts: Buy more bottles at a lower price
FUNGINIX is a potent mixture of antifungal agents and extracts with essential oils. Specific active ingredients such as undecylenic acid, herbal remedies (e.g., camphor and essential oils) have been combined based on the data from the latest studies dealing with both conventional and herbal medicine.
The product is one of the most effective antifungal remedies among toenail fungus treatment options. The formula is simultaneously robust and safe to use for children and pregnant or nursing women.
However, some users have developed skin irritations after using this product, like redness and soreness. To ensure effectiveness, before applying the solution, it is recommended to wash the nails properly with soap and warm water.
This could be a perfect toenail fungus cure for you if you suffer from a mild fungal infection. Otherwise, for moderate and severe cases, it doesn’t seem to be too effective, and it sometimes takes months for results to become apparent.
- + Rapid, visible improvements in the first 4–6 weeks of use
- + Natural and organic product
- + Fights fungus while healing the skin
- − Not the best treatment for toenail fungus in the advanced stages of development
- Type: Liquid and softgel capsules
- Ingredients: Extra virgin olive oil, essential oregano oil (non-GMO), almond oil, and other essential oils
- Shipping and return policy: Free shipping on every order regardless of the country; 90-day return policy
- Discounts: N/A
FunguCept is designed especially for professional athletes or amateurs who workout regularly, including going to the gym, running, cycling, etc. The effectiveness of this combination rivals that of the best antifungal nail treatments around, also making it one of the best formulations for the prevention of a broad spectrum of fungi.
The science behind this product shows that external and internal use of oregano oil ensures faster and more effective results in terms of healing existing nail problems or protecting and maintaining healthy-looking feet. The formula contains essential oils and skin-nurturing botanicals used for centuries.
When combining topical therapy with softgels for internal use, the results are better and achieved faster. While the nail solution stimulates the healthy growth of the nails, the internal use of the FunguCept acts synergistically to resolve the problem. For these reasons, some of the customers consider this product the best cure for toenail fungus.
- + 100% natural ingredients from Greece
- + Works internally and externally for visible results after four weeks
- + Alcohol-, sugar-, salt-, starch-, yeast-, wheat-, gluten-, corn-, soy-, milk-, egg-, and shellfish-free.
- + Certification of chemical analysis
- − Not everyone loves the smell of the product
- Type: Soap
- Ingredients: Aloe vera, rosemary, tea tree oil, peppermint
- Shipping and return policy: 30-day refund policy; international shipping
- Discounts: N/A
As one of the best over-the-counter toenail fungus treatment products around, TruRemedy Naturals Soap Tea Tree Oil Body Wash can be used on the whole body targeting the body odor; itchy, dry, and irritated skin; excessive sweating; and feet nail fungus. Thanks to the natural organic oils, regular use aids in soothing the skin while preserving its moisture. Furthermore, the balanced formula is appropriate for all skin types.
The product claims that it relieves the sensations associated with the athlete’s foot and jock itch. Moreover, it helps to remove stubborn toenail fungal issues, making it one of the most popular OTC toenail fungus treatment options around. Jojoba, coconut, and olive oil moisturize, refresh, and deodorize the irritated feet and skin.
- + 100% natural and organic botanical ingredients
- + Suitable for use in the gym, exercise mats, and public showers
- + No petroleum, sulfate, silicone, artificial fragrances, dyes, or preservatives
- + Made in the US
- − It is not created specifically for feet fungus problems
- Type: Solution
- Ingredients: 25% undecylenic acid and a blend of all-natural oils
- Shipping and return policy: 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Discounts: Regular discounts
This toenail fungus cure has the highest concentration of undecylenic acid on the market. The oil-based vitamin E nourishes the skin with the help of other ingredients, such as six high-quality all-natural oils (citronella, lavender, tea tree, sweet almond, jojoba, and clove bud).
The formula can penetrate deep into the affected areas of skin and nails. Most clients consider it the most effective toenail fungus treatment that you can buy (over the counter) if you want to restore your toenails’ health. Finally, it should be noted that it is recommended to apply the product mainly on the surrounding skin but not on the nail.
- + The highest concentration of undecylenic acid on the market
- + High-quality natural oils included
- + Vitamin E helps to smooth the skin
- − If the fungus is systemic, this product alone cannot solve the problem
- Type: Antiseptic solution
- Ingredients: Miconazole nitrate, PVP-iodine, thymol, U/V-treated water, sorbate, and potassium
- Shipping and return policy: Free shipping and returns on all orders above $50.00; 30-day money guarantee
- Discounts: N/A
Widely considered one of the best toenail fungus treatment options around, this product is an antiseptic solution for athlete’s foot and infected nails. The manufacturer promises a premium-quality product that you can trust. With the full-strength formula that penetrates the skin and keeps it moisturized, the treatment removes toe and foot fungus.
Although the results can be seen after the first couple of weeks, it is recommended to apply it for 4–12 weeks, depending on the fungal infection degree. It should be used on the affected area 2 to 3 times a day.
It is worth mentioning that the solution is made in the US to meet the high requirements and demands of beauty and nail professionals who are carefully reading through each fungus nail treatment review they come across and only considering using the best of the best.
- + Physician-formulated
- + Comes with a dropper instead of a brush
- + Work on hands and feet
- + Results can be seen in 2–4 weeks
- − Not everyone is satisfied with the small bottles
- Type: Gel
- Ingredients: Deionized water, fragrance, ethanoic acid, and xanthan gum
- Shipping and return policy: Money-back guarantee (no time limit), free shipping
- Discounts: Coupons, rebates, and regular discounts
When it comes to nail fungus, the best treatment is the one that attacks the root of the issue. NONYX Fungal Nail Clarifying Gel removes the nail fungus by clearing the keratin debris from the nails. This effectively fights the infection, as keratin debris is an ideal environment for the propagation of nail fungi, which can leave the nails damaged and discolored.
Toenails are more prone to fungal infection because of the extended exposure to hot and wet environments such as community facilities (gyms, pools, etc.), which is why these infections are more common in athletes, pool workers, and swimmers.
Often described as the best topical nail fungus treatment around, this product was clinically proven, with 90% of nails that it was tested on showing significant improvement. Moreover, 80% of participants achieved a reduction in nail discoloration and deformation (dark, yellowing, thick, brittle, split, and lifted nails).
The manufacturer also states that this product has been a choice of doctors for toenail fungus over the past ten years. The majority of customers share their success and describe how they once again have the confidence to go barefoot and never again worry about hiding their toenails or fingernails.
It is recommended to apply the product twice daily to the surface of the nail and underneath nails. If used this way, the 4-ounce bottle should last you six months, potentially making this product the best nail fungus treatment (OTC) for those on a budget.
- + 90% of nails significantly improve
- + Safe for diabetic people
- + Preservative- and paraben-free
- + Works under nail polish
- + For both toenails and fingernails
- − Some customers dislike the strong vinegary smell
- Type: Cream
- Ingredients: Disodium EDTA, sodium hydroxide, water, lactic acid, glycerin, urea, and propylene glycol
- Shipping and return policy: Free shipping on orders over $35.00; only unopened items are eligible for a refund
- Discounts: Coupons frequently available
Kerasal Fungal Nail Renewal’s formula infiltrates the affected nails to cure the fungal infection. This typically happens two days after the first application. The nails’ appearance improves after only eight weeks of use in 90% of customers. This potent nail fungus cream reduces discoloration and thickness while hydrating and normalizing the nails.
Kerasal Fungal Nail Renewal Treatment is one of the non-prescription products that doctors most commonly recommend for the care of infection-damaged nails. The product was demonstrated as safe and effective in enhancing fungal clearance in more than 90% of the patients, earning the American Podiatric Medical Association’s approval.
- + Clinically proven
- + Normalize color and strength of the nails
- + Clear and odorless formula
- − Some clients noted fungus returning after they stopped using the product
How to Choose the Best Nail Fungus Treatment Option
Since nail fungal infections rarely go away on their own, you want to find a definitive solution. But what to choose that guarantees you some kind of relief? Our Buyer’s Guide should give you all the information you need when searching for the best solution for your issues.
What Is Nail Fungus?
Nail fungus can cause infection of the nails and surrounding skin, predominantly on the feet, also known as onychomycosis. The fungal infection can lead to discomfort and changes in the nails’ appearance, or even nail loss. It usually affects the skin, causing irritation, itching, dryness, etc. Therefore, it is critical to find the best fungus nail treatment for your particular situation and to start using it before the problem becomes irreversible.
Who’s in danger of nail fungus development? Nail fungus is most common in people above the age of 60. Those with other medical problems like athlete’s foot, skin problems (like psoriasis), trauma, diabetes, lung conditions (e.g., asthma), or a compromised immune system are also more prone to fungal infections. Other risk factors that might send you looking for a treatment for toenail fungus include excessive sweating, certain types of shoes, and contact with contaminated surfaces.
To prevent the infection from developing, it is good not to share hygiene products and personal belongings, including shoes and socks. Although nail fungus is not highly contagious, this would significantly increase the risk of infection. Another useful tip is to keep your toes clean and dry, and your nails short.
Although the occurrence of nail fungus is not a serious health problem, if you do notice you are starting to develop this kind of an issue, you should promptly look for an adequate nail fungus treatment. Not only for aesthetic reasons, but also because it can cause pain, skin damage, and other complications.
Types of Fungal Nail Treatment Products
Treating a fungal nail infection can be very difficult. It is advisable to talk to a doctor if changing your hygiene habits and trying over-the-counter products didn’t help. Treatment will usually depend on the severity of the infection and the type of fungus. It can sometimes take months to see results, with re-infections being common.
There are three types of treatment options:
- Topical treatment: soak, wash, liquid, powder, spray, nail polish, cream, gel
- Medicines for internal use
- Surgical operation, laser treatment
Often, fungal nail infections can be treated at home. Moreover, most of the non-prescription products are designed for at-home use. For this reason, we have prepared the best nail fungus treatment reviews to help you in the ocean of different products.
It is recommended to cut and thicken the nails, soak them in water or other solution with antifungal properties, and then apply the antifungal agent—cream, gel, nail polish, etc.
However, topical medications take longer for visible and satisfying results. The effectiveness also depends on the concentration of the active ingredients. Notwithstanding, If a person suffers from circulatory problems or another condition that leads to an inability to take care of their nails, they should consider going to a specialist for help.
If the home nail fungus cure that you tried doesn`t eliminate the fungus, and the symptoms begin to worsen (nail loss or excessive deformity, pain), it’s the right time to schedule a consultation with a specialist. For severe cases of nail fungal infection, oral drugs or operations can be recommended. These include removing the nail to apply an antifungal drug directly to the affected area under the nail or use of systemic oral antifungal drugs.
How to Choose the Most Suitable Toenail Fungus Treatment Option
Since fungal infections are a common condition, many affected people search for a definite solution. The best choice for treatment depends on several factors, such as:
- Severity—are you dealing with an initial infection (white or yellow spots under the nails, unpleasant smell) or an advanced one (lost color, thickening, crumbling edges, deformity, pain)
- Location and dissemination—hand or foot; how many nails are affected, one or several nails at once
- Previous experience with treatment—was it successful or not
If the condition is mild, topical toenail fungus remedies may be suitable. As the fungal infection can be permanent, up to one year will sometimes be needed for a topical treatment to resolve the problem. Tablets are typically taken for several weeks or months to cure fungal nail infections. They are much more effective but have more side effects than topical treatments.
Creams and other ointments can be beneficial during the initial onset of nail fungus symptoms.
Sometimes, the condition can be controlled by washing or soaking the affected feet or nails. Aside from soaking, topical products should be applied once or several times a day on the affected part of the nail and the adjacent skin. Usually, after a period, the new, healthy nail growth will replace the infected parts. Thinning the nail makes it easier for the nail fungus cream to reach the fungus.
FDA-approved ingredients for the treatment of toenail fungus are zinc undecylenate and undecylenic acid, medicines in the family of “azole” (fluconazole, clotrimazol, etc.), terbinafine (Lamisil), oils (tea tree, eucalyptus, etc.). The concentration of the active ingredients also impacts the efficacy of the products.
Even after successful treatment, the fungal infection can still reoccur. In these cases, the specialists prescribe both drugs for internal use and for external application to the skin and nails.
Adverse Effects of Nail Fungus Treatment and Special Precautions
Most doctors recommend using a topical treatment in the following cases:
- Up to a half of the nail is infected
- The nail`s base is preserved
- Only a few nails are damaged
Topical care does not have severe adverse reactions. It may lead to skin irritations and unpleasant sensations but does not cause systemic effects. For this reason, it is suitable for children, pregnant women, and breastfeeding mothers.
On the other hand, oral medicines are not appropriate for the people mentioned above. Furthermore, children have shorter nails that grow quicker; thus, soaking and applying nail polish, creams, etc., would be enough. The same goes for pregnant and breastfeeding women, where it is safer to use topical instead of systemic antifungal treatments.
What to Remember About the Best Treatment for Nail Fungus Options
Fungal nail infections are very common, although not life-threatening. However, an infection can easily spread and infect other people. It’s hard to believe, but more than half of the world’s population has encountered it at least once.
Your susceptibility to infection increases with age. Many people live with it without even knowing. Since fungus is very stubborn, you have to be persistent in treatment to achieve satisfying results. Sometimes it takes a year to get a newly grown healthy nail, even when using the best topical treatment for nail fungus that money can buy.
After leaving the bathroom and before putting on socks or shoes, you should dry your feet well with a towel. The socks you wear should be made of breathable fabric to avoid retaining moisture on your feet. At the same time, it is essential to eat a balanced diet and to reduce the intake of sugar.
Not all therapies are equally effective. For instance, natural remedies can be beneficial in alleviating and controlling infections caused by microorganisms. While this type of cure for toenail fungus gives good results, it may take months before it has a visible effect.
And this is especially important to remember—nail fungus can alert you of other diseases, such as diabetes, circulatory problems, dermatitis, or weakened immune system.
If you suffer from yellowing and deformation of the nail plate, itching, redness, peeling of the skin, and other typical fungal infection symptoms, you are not alone. With a few changes in your habits and with the help of the best nail fungus treatment reviews we’ve provided here, you can be at ease again.
What is the most effective treatment for toenail fungus?
The effectiveness of the treatment depends on the age, localization, severity of the infection, type of treatment, and duration of the infection.
Typically, antifungal drugs (such as terbinafine and itraconazole) are more effective than natural oils (i.e., tea tree), and oral medication works better than topical treatments. However, the treatment should be recommended on a case-by-case basis, with the ultimate goal being growing new and healthy nails.
What is the best over-the-counter toenail fungus treatment?
Over-the-counter treatments have some limits because they aim to destroy the fungi on the nail surface. They can be highly effective, but the treatment has to be started as soon as possible. It should be noted that, if the concentration of the active ingredients is higher, and the product is a combination of several active ingredients, the results are usually better.
How do you get rid of toenail fungus fast?
The fastest way is to take oral antifungal medicine. However, you can deal with a mild fungal nail infection in your home by applying over-the-counter antifungal nail creams and ointments. To get completely rid of nail fungus, your new nail growth needs to be healthy. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to catch fungus again.
What actually kills toenail fungus?
Different treatment options have different methods of action—some of them disrupt the fungal cell membranes. Others block the synthesis of sterols essential for the fungi. That way, fungi are killed or paralyzed.
Is antifungal cream for nails effective?
Yes, it could be effective, mainly in mild and limited cases. Other additional measures, such as soaking and thinning the nails before applying the cream, can increase the likelihood of success. This helps the drug enter the underlying fungus through the hard nail, and can be beneficial even with the best nail fungus treatment options available.