Health professionals recommend a healthy diet, a reduction in caloric intake, and physical activity. And since making such a drastic lifestyle change is not an easy feat, many people turn to dietary supplements, such as fat burners, thermogenics, and stimulants. But do diet pills work? Read on to find out.
The Top 10 Weight-Loss Supplement Statistics
- Americans spend about $2.1 billion on weight-loss supplements every year.
- Some weight-loss supplements have more than 90 ingredients.
- The FDA regulates dietary supplements but doesn’t classify them as drugs.
- The US weight-loss market is currently worth $72 billion.
- The virtual weight-loss market grew to $1.4 billion in 2019.
- 15% of US adults have used weight-loss supplements at least once.
- 20.6% of women and 9.7% of men use weight-loss supplements.
- One in 10 people uses weight-loss supplements for 12 months or longer.
- Caffeine can boost metabolism by 8–11%.
- Glucomannan causes 8–10 pounds of weight loss in 5 weeks.
Keep reading to discover more about major weight-loss pills and how they can help.
Weight-Loss Supplements: Facts and Stats
1. Americans spend about $2.1 billion on weight-loss supplements every year.
Everyone wants to look beautiful with as little effort as possible, so spending big on this branch of dietary supplements comes as no surprise. The most popular dietary supplements are vitamins, but the dietary supplements for weight loss that work have also gained quite a popularity over the years.
2. There are two types of weight-loss supplements: OTC supplements and prescription pills.
(NIDDK, Healthline, Futures Recovery Healthcare)
They come in various forms: pills, soft gels, powders, liquids, etc. It’s recommended to always consult your physician before buying either prescription weight-loss pills or OTC supplements, as such weight-loss aid doesn’t come without side effects. They’re also divided into:
- Appetite suppressants — They reduce the users’ appetite and make them feel fuller (guar gum, psyllium)
- Fat burners — They make the users burn more calories (green tea, hydro citric acid, flaxseed)
- Dietary supplements for weight loss — They reduce the absorption of nutrients like fat and make the users’ organism take in fewer calories (chondroitin)
- Metabolism boosters — They speed up the users’ metabolism (caffeine, guarana, synephrine, B-complex vitamins)
- Cravings curbers — They make the user crave less food (chickweed, bee pollen, fennel)
3. Some weight-loss supplements have more than 90 ingredients.
The most common ingredients in these supplements include botanicals, i.e., herbs and other components of plants, minerals, caffeine, and dietary fiber. However, scientific information on the ingredients varies greatly. Therefore, success is not guaranteed — weight-loss pills yet have to earn their credibility.
4. The FDA regulates dietary supplements but doesn’t classify them as drugs.
However, dietary supplements, including weight-loss supplements, don’t need a premarket review or approval by the FDA. The manufacturers are held responsible for the safety and truthful labeling of their products.
Weight-Loss Supplement Industry Statistics
5. The US weight-loss market is currently worth $72 billion.
The number of dieters has lowered due to the body positivity movement and acceptance of every body type, but people are spending big money to find the miracle weight-loss pill.
6. The global weight-loss supplement market is expected to hit $37,177.6 million in revenue by the end of 2026.
According to the weight-loss supplement statistics, the industry is expected to reach a 6% CAGR between 2017 and 2026. As long as obesity is a chronic global issue, the weight-loss industry will continue to grow, with North America as its leader.
7. It’s expected that the global fat burn supplement market will reach a CAGR of about 7% by 2023.
Fat burners are among the most popular groups of weight-loss supplements, especially in Europe and North America. Due to their popularity for being the best herbal supplements for weight loss, it’s expected that the market will have huge growth rates in the developing economies of Asia-Pacific.
8. The virtual weight-loss market grew to $1.4 billion in 2019.
Improved technology and the increased use of the internet have changed the way Americans lose weight. The virtual weight-loss market is continuously growing, and it’s expected to grow by 6.6% each year until 2023. Online sales of weight-loss supplements reached $504 million in 2018 and accounted for 36% of the overall virtual weight-loss market.
Weight-Loss Supplements: Consumption Rates
9. 15% of US adults have used weight-loss supplements at least once.
All health experts recommend avoiding fast food, following a well-balanced diet, lowering the caloric intake, and being physically active to lose weight and have an overall healthier lifestyle. However, a significant number of Americans have turned to weight-loss pills, as they seem like an easier solution.
10. 20.6% of women and 9.7% of men use weight-loss supplements.
Although there aren’t any 100% medically proven weight-loss supplements, and despite the fact that health professionals recommend a lifestyle switch, women aged 18–34 years are the most frequent users of these products.
11. One in 10 people uses weight-loss supplements for 12 months or longer.
Research has discovered that all ethnicities and people of all education levels use weight-loss supplements. Although supplement users are mostly women, men use these products for a longer time than women. Namely, 15% of men had used weight-loss supplements for a year or longer, compared to 7.7% of women.
Weight-Loss Supplements: Facts on Usage
13. Garcinia cambogia causes a 2-pound weight loss over several weeks.
Consumption of Garcinia cambogia increases the production of enzymes that increase serotonin levels, which helps the users curb their cravings. However, the Garcinia cambogia weight-loss supplement benefits aren’t that great, despite its popularity and status as one of the best weight-loss pills for 2018. Although it causes some weight loss, the effects are almost unnoticeable, and it can also cause digestive problems.
14. Caffeine can boost metabolism by 8–11%.
The supplement facts for those interested in weight loss with coffee show that this beverage can speed up the metabolism and increase fat burning by 29%. And when it comes to weight-loss supplements and their consumption rates, caffeine is the most commonly used stimulant. It is frequently found in green tea, dark chocolate, and coffee, making green tea extract and Garcinia cambogia some of the most popular weight-loss products. However, people quickly develop tolerance to caffeine.
15. Glucomannan can cause 8–10 pounds of weight loss in 5 weeks.
Glucomannan absorbs water, sits in your stomach, and gives you a feeling of fullness. The weight-loss supplement industry statistics reveal that it can help people lose weight, but it can also interfere with certain oral medications, causing bloating and flatulence.
16. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) causes a 0.2-pound weight loss per week for up to 6 months.
(NCBI, Medical News Today)
Since it may reduce appetite and boost metabolism, CLA was included in the list of the best weight-loss pills for 2019. However, it can cause different digestive side-effects and can have harmful effects if used for longer. It can also contribute to fatty liver disease, increased inflammation, and insulin resistance.
17. Between January 2004 and April 2015, 977 people experienced side-effects from weight-loss supplements.
Moreover, 40% of these cases suffered severe medical problems that included hospitalization and death. This is why the FDA has removed Belviq — which was sold as one of the best weight-loss pills for 2020 — after an increase in cancer cases.
The Bottom Line
Losing weight is hard, and no one denies that. And although people are aware that there’s no such thing as weight-loss pills with no side effects and that even the FDA-approved ones can cause mild side-effects, the weight-loss supplement statistics show that people still turn to them hoping for a quick solution. Our advice is to be patient and take your time. A well-balanced diet and regular physical activity will get you that dream body you always wanted.