Nevertheless, these weight-loss supplement statistics show that as much as 45% of overweight and 67% of obese Americans are trying to lose weight.
Health professionals recommend a healthy diet, a reduction in caloric intake, and physical activity.
And since making such a drastic lifestyle change is not an easy feat, many people turn to dietary supplements, such as fat burners, thermogenics, and stimulants. But do diet pills work? Read on to find out.
The Top 10 Weight-Loss Supplement Statistics and Facts
- Losing weight is one of the top reasons people use dietary supplements
- Some weight-loss supplements have more than 90 ingredients
- The US dietary supplements market had an estimated value of $46 billion in 2020
- The global ketogenic diet market size was estimated to be $10.1 billion in 2020
- In 2019, North America was the most significant ketogenic diets’ regional market with over 35% share.
- 15% of US adults have used weight-loss supplements at least once
- One in 10 people uses weight-loss supplements for 12 months or longer
- 71% of weight loss supplement users exercise regularly, in contrast to 53% of non-users
- 69% of weight loss supplement users maintain a healthy weight, compared to 66% of non-users
- Between January 2004 and April 2015, 977 people experienced side effects from weight-loss supplements.
Keep reading to discover more about major weight-loss pills and how they can help.
Weight-Loss Supplements: Facts and Stats
Embarking on a weight loss journey is never easy. It inevitably includes reducing the number of calories, arduous exercising, and a restrictive diet. Sometimes, the inclusion of weight loss supplements is also necessary to speed up the process.
Let’s get familiar with these metabolism-boosting products and explore the most telling weight loss supplements statistics for 2020.
1. Losing weight is one of the top reasons people are into dietary supplements.
Dietary supplements are substances created to help add needed nutrients to your daily diet. According to the FDA, weight loss supplements and dietary supplements, in general, are not considered drugs or designed to substitute drugs during any treatment phase.
However, they can significantly lower your risk of developing specific health issues.
Dietary supplements are made up of various essential nutrients as a part of their ingredients, including vitamins, fiber, amino acids, enzymes, etc. Also, you can find dietary supplements in the form of soft gels, liquids, extracts, capsules, and tablets.
According to reports on the benefits of a weight loss supplement, one of the best ways to lose weight is to eat right. However, not everyone can access healthy food that contains nutrients needed to maintain just the right weight. With dietary supplements, you can worry less about the stress of eating a variety of food all the time.
2. Americans spend about $2.1 billion on weight-loss supplements every year.
Everyone wants to look beautiful with as little effort as possible, so spending big on this branch of dietary supplements comes as no surprise. Also, according to weight loss supplements facts, the numerous health conditions associated with being obese or overweight is a significant factor pushing people to spend this much on weight-loss supplements.
3. There are two types of weight-loss supplements: OTC supplements and prescription pills.
(NIDDK, Healthline, Futures Recovery Healthcare)
They come in various forms: pills, soft gels, powders, liquids, etc. It’s recommended to always consult your physician before buying either prescription weight-loss pills or OTC supplements, as such weight-loss aid doesn’t come without side effects. They’re also divided into:
- Appetite suppressants — They reduce the users’ appetite and make them feel fuller. (guar gum, psyllium) Check out the list of top appetite suppressants.
- Fat burners — They make the users burn more calories (green tea, hydro citric acid, flaxseed). Check out the top fat burners.
- Dietary supplements for weight loss — They reduce the absorption of nutrients like fat and make the users’ organism take in fewer calories (chondroitin)
- Metabolism boosters — They speed up the users’ metabolism (caffeine, guarana, synephrine, B-complex vitamins)
- Cravings curbers — They make the user crave less food (chickweed, bee pollen, fennel)
4. Most weight-loss supplements contain vitamins.
Nutritional supplements are made of all or some of the following–minerals, herbs, vitamins, enzymes, amino acids, and many other plant-based nutrients.
However, statistics on the consumption of weight loss supplements reveal that a whopping 86% of Americans consume vitamin supplements.
5. Some weight-loss supplements have more than 90 ingredients.
The most common ingredients in these supplements include botanicals, i.e., herbs and other components of plants, minerals, caffeine, and dietary fiber. However, scientific information on the ingredients varies greatly. Therefore, success is not guaranteed — weight-loss pills yet have to earn their credibility.
6. The FDA regulates dietary supplements but doesn’t classify them as drugs.
However, dietary supplements, including weight-loss supplements, don’t need a premarket review or approval by the FDA. The manufacturers are held responsible for the safety and truthful labeling of their products.
Weight-Loss Supplement Industry Statistics
The overwhelming prevalence of the sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, and many other factors led to an obesity epidemic in recent years. This, in turn, led to the increasing demand for weight loss products, particularly supplements.
Let’s check out the latest weight loss industry statistics and find out how it has changed over the years.
7. The US dietary supplements market had an estimated value of $46 billion in 2020.
(GlobeNewswire) (CDC) (Statista)
Recent diet statistics reveal that US households spend an average of $117 billion in healthcare costs annually due to improper physical activity. A lack of physical exercise is associated with various health concerns such as an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases, obesity, type-2 diabetes, etc.
According to recent weight loss statistics, about 31 million adults aged 50 or older are physically inactive. What’s more, only 19.3% of the entire US population engage in some form of exercise or sport daily.
8. The US weight-loss market is currently worth $72 billion.
The number of dieters has lowered due to the body positivity movement and acceptance of every body type. Still, people are spending big money to find the miracle weight-loss pill.
9. Keto supplements for weight loss comprised 50% of the keto diet market size in 2019.
(Grand View Research, NCBI)
The reason behind the keto diet’s popularity is its ability to stimulate the process of breaking down fatty acids and converting them into ketone bodies. The ketone bodies are later used for energy instead of glucose, leading to gradual weight loss.
This diet’s popularity paved the way for introducing keto weight loss supplements, which soon became the leading segment of the keto diet market. Keto weight loss capsules, powders, and oils are expected to increase sales and maintain the lead on the market between 2020 and 2027.
10. The global weight-loss supplement market is expected to hit $37,177.6 million in revenue by the end of 2026.
According to the weight-loss supplement statistics, the industry is expected to reach a 6% CAGR between 2017 and 2026. As long as obesity is a chronic global issue, the weight-loss industry will continue to grow, with North America as its leader.
11. In 2019, North America was the most significant ketogenic diets’ regional market with over 35% share.
(Grand View Research)
According to statistics on weight loss supplements sales in 2020, the presence of the US–the largest keto market in the world–in the North American region played a huge role in this achievement.
Regardless, the Asia Pacific region is projected to be the most rapidly growing ketogenic diets’ regional market, with an anticipated CAGR of 6.2% between 2020-2027.
The increasing number of obesity cases in countries like India and China helps drive ketosis diets in this region.
12. It’s expected that the global fat burn supplement market will reach a CAGR of about 7% by 2023.
Fat burners are among the most popular groups of weight-loss supplements, especially in Europe and North America. Due to their popularity for being the best herbal supplements for weight loss, it’s expected that the market will have substantial growth rates in the developing economies of Asia-Pacific.
13. The virtual weight-loss market grew to $1.4 billion in 2019.
Improved technology and the increased use of the internet have changed the way Americans lose weight. The virtual weight-loss market is continuously growing, and it’s expected to grow by 6.6% each year until 2023. Online sales of weight-loss supplements reached $504 million in 2018 and accounted for 36% of the overall virtual weight-loss market.
Weight-Loss Supplements: Consumption Rates
As we already mentioned, weight loss supplements have undeniably enjoyed widespread popularity over the past years.
Let’s check out the latest weight loss supplements statistics and discover who the dominant consumers are and how often they resort to this type of supplementation.
14. 15% of US adults have used weight-loss supplements at least once.
All health experts recommend avoiding fast food, following a well-balanced diet, lowering caloric intake, and being physically active to lose weight and have an overall healthier lifestyle. However, a significant number of Americans have turned to weight-loss pills, as they seem like a more straightforward solution.
15. 20.6% of women and 9.7% of men use weight-loss supplements.
Although there aren’t 100% medically proven weight-loss supplements, and even though health professionals recommend a lifestyle switch, women aged 18–34 are the most frequent users of these products.
16. One in 10 people uses weight-loss supplements for 12 months or longer.
Research has discovered that all ethnicities and people of all education levels use weight-loss supplements. Although supplement users are primarily women, men use these products for a longer time than women. Namely, 15% of men had used weight-loss supplements for a year or longer, compared to 7.7% of women.
Weight-Loss Supplements: Facts on Usage
Not all weight loss supplements are equally effective for everyone. Their potency largely depends on various factors such as current general health, underlying conditions, eagerness to introduce vital lifestyle changes, etc.
Let’s explore the essential diet pills statistics and weight loss supplement facts related to supplementation and its effects.
17. Garcinia cambogia causes a 2-pound weight loss over several weeks.
Consumption of Garcinia cambogia increases the production of enzymes that increase serotonin levels, helping the users curb their cravings. However, the Garcinia cambogia weight-loss supplement benefits aren’t that great, despite its popularity and status as one of the best weight-loss pills for 2018. Although it causes some weight loss, the effects are almost unnoticeable, and it can also cause digestive problems.
18. 71% of weight loss supplement users exercise regularly, in contrast to 53% of non-users.
This proves that people who use weight loss supplements understand the role exercise plays in their weight loss journey.
Also, supplement users that exercise regularly are more likely to adopt healthy eating habits than non-users. This follows as 86% of the former try to consume a balanced diet, compared to 75% of the latter.
19. Caffeine can boost metabolism by 8–11%.
The supplement facts for those interested in weight loss with coffee show that this beverage can speed up the metabolism and increase fat burning by 29%. And when it comes to weight-loss supplements and their consumption rates, caffeine is the most commonly used stimulant. It is frequently found in green tea, dark chocolate, and coffee, making green tea extract and Garcinia cambogia some of the most popular weight-loss products. However, people quickly develop tolerance to caffeine.
20. Glucomannan can cause 8–10 pounds of weight loss in 5 weeks.
Glucomannan absorbs water, sits in your stomach, and gives you a feeling of fullness. The weight-loss supplement industry statistics reveal that it can help people lose weight, but it can also interfere with certain oral medications, causing bloating and flatulence.
21. 69% of weight loss supplement users maintain a healthy weight, compared to 66% of non-users.
Also, 80% of the former visit the doctor regularly, compared to 65% of the latter. What’s more? While 71% of weight loss supplement users get a good night’s sleep, only 61% of non-users manage to achieve the same. Again, this shows the benefits of weight loss supplement products when appropriately used during any weight loss management process.
22. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) causes a 0.2-pound weight loss per week for up to 6 months.
(NCBI, Medical News Today)
Since it may reduce appetite and boost metabolism, CLA was included among the best weight-loss pills for 2019. However, it can cause different digestive side-effects and can have harmful effects if used for longer. It can also contribute to fatty liver disease, increased inflammation, and insulin resistance.
23. Between January 2004 and April 2015, 977 people experienced side effects from weight-loss supplements.
Moreover, 40% of these cases suffered severe medical problems that included hospitalization and death. This is why the FDA has removed Belviq — which was sold as one of the best weight-loss pills for 2020 — after an increase in cancer cases.
The Bottom Line
Losing weight is hard, and no one denies that. And although people are aware that there’s no such thing as weight-loss pills with no side effects and that even the FDA-approved ones can cause mild side effects, the weight-loss supplement statistics show that people still turn to them hoping for a quick solution. Our advice is to be patient and take your time. A well-balanced diet and regular physical activity will get you that dream body you always wanted.